Sunday, June 5, 2016

I got 3 different estimates - 3 differently sized units

My 21 year old heat pump died a couple of weeks ago so I've been getting estimates on a new furnace and air conditioner, since natural gas is available in my area and I want to switch because my electric bills are insane in the winter.

A couple of notes: I live in Ohio. My house is around 1650 sqft and it was built in 1976. I've only been in the house 2 years and my HVAC equipment - which is from 1995 - never seemed to work all that great, but managed. For these estimates, I assume that a certain number in the furnace model number indicates that BTU's of the unit? I'm not really sure what this all means, but I hear that sizing it properly and the install being done correctly are the most important factors.

Company 1
  • Furnace: Tempstar F9MVE0801716A. 80K BTU. 96% AFUE. 2 Stage - Variable Speed. 16 Seer.
  • A/C: Tempstar TSA630GKA. 2.5 Ton. Single Stage. 16 Seer.
  • Thermostat: Yes - Nice & has WiFi
  • Air Cleaner: $Included - AprileAire 2210
  • Gas Piping: $Included
  • Electric: $Included, convert 220v to 110v.

Price: This will be the base price.

Notes: The guy who came by was the owner and has been doing this for over 35 years, BUT he did not measure anything, he just eyeballed it, though he did have a printout of my house and sqfootage. I like how I can go with this company and have everything set and done (has piping + electrical). The price was the lowest, but still not incredibly low.

Company 2

Furnace: Trane S9V2. 60K BTU. 96% AFUE. 2 Stage - Variable Speed. 16 Seer.
A/C: Trane XL16i. 2.5 Ton. Single Stage. 16 Seer.
Thermostat: Yes - Basic & No WiFi
Air Cleaner: Optional
Gas Piping: $Not Included!
Electric: $Included, convert 220v to 110v.

Price: 10% more than Company 1. (Price is after huge coupon if I schedule through a big chain store by June 8th, and after having a different company do that gas piping which is a guestimate of a thousand extra)

Notes: The guy who came by seemed to measure everything, including the outside windows. He was very nice. Had a lot of salespitchy stuff. NATE certified company. I'd have to get a separate plumber to do the gas piping (I included that in my estimate of total price). And doesn't have an air cleaner and the thermostat is really basic.

Company 3

Furnace: Lennox EL296VH070XE36B. 70K BTU. 96% AFUE. 2 Stage - Variable Speed. ? Seer.
A/C: Lennox 13ACXN-03-0230. 2.5 Ton. Single Stage. 13 Seer.
Thermostat: Yes - Super Basic Non-Wifi Thermostat
Air Cleaner: $Not included
Gas Piping: $Included!
Electric: $Not included, convert 220v to 110v.

Price: 8.5% more than Company 1. (Price is after having a different company do the electrical)

Notes: This guy measured the inside Furnace and components around it, but didn't spend a whole lot of time measuring. I'd have to get an electrician to convert from 220v to 110v. I'm a little bit concerned about the SEER ratings of the units; they seem to be lesser than the other 2 companies and the pricing isn't that great.

Final Thoughts

Anyways, I'm worried about all the sizing differences... I feel like I don't know who to believe and if I go with company 2, is it worth the large extra cost and having to get a separate plumber do the gas piping. I like company 1 because they will do everything, and even leave outlets for a gas water heater and range. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/Mirthoneist
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment