So I've been living in an efficiency apartment for 5 years, in central Texas. Two years ago, I noticed that my window ac unit (Kenmore model # 580.72059200) was leaking water into the inside of the apartment. I immediately let management know and they came out promptly and fixed the problem. However, the water caused a good bit of damage to the wall and window sill below it. Rotting and what not. It was summertime and management said they would fix the water damaged wall when the weather cooled down some. I haven't heard from him since. I assume he forgot about it. I've been hesitant to remind him about it because I don't really look forward to maintenance being done to my unit while I'm living in here, it's not really a problem to live with, and I'm not sure if I'll get stuck with the bill for fixing it.
My question is am I going to (or should I) be held responsible for paying for the water damage? The unit has a reusable filter which I clean out regularly, about once a month. It's in my lease that I do this. When the landlord was fixing the unit, he seemed to imply that the ac problems were my fault because I don't dust my apartment enough, and the filter doesn't filter out all the dust, and the dust that was getting through was what was clogging up the works.
About a month ago the unit started having problems again (two years after the leaking problem). It wasn't cooling well and was noisy. The bottom of the coils were freezing up. After defrosting it a few times and having them freeze up again I did a little research on the web. I figured out how to take off the front of the unit. I cleaned off the dusty coils with a scrub brush. I also noticed that the pan was full of gunk and water wasn't draining out. This seemed to be why it was freezing up over and over. I got some long q-tips and fished out as much of the gunk as I could. Its been working better than ever ever since.
Any input from you would be appreciated, including other subreddits that may also have some insight.
Thanks
[link] [comments]
No comments:
Post a Comment